DownSyn Forum Forum Index DownSyn Forum
Extra Chromosome... Extra Family

shoppingShop   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   MapMap   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum TourForum Tour 

Amoxicillin reaction

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       DownSyn Forum Forum Index -> Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinsmom

NDSC Attendee

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 7:24 AM    Post subject:
Amoxicillin reaction

Erin woke up with a rash all over her trunk and some parts of her head, especially her forhead and behind her ears. It doesn't seem be itchy or bothersome at all to her. She is on day five of amoxicillin for an ear infection. She has had penicillin/amoxicillin a few times in the past and never had this reaction. She is also still just not herself, even after five days on meds. She's tired and a little fussy. Do you think this is strange for her to have a reaction this late into the course of the medication? I would think that if she were allergic she'd have reacted right away. I'm wondering if there's something else going on?

Sammi's Mom

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 8:05 AM    Post subject:

No--she wouldn't necessarily have had a reaction right away. My understanding is that once your body reaches a certain point in encountering something that you're allergic to, you'll begin to show a reaction. It can happen at any time, but there's a threshold you have to hit first. I'd had pennicillin and amoxicillin as a kid, but suddenly started to get a reaction to it in college. My recommendation would be to discontinue it immediately, call the doctor, and have them prescribe something else. The more she's exposed to it, the more severe her reaction could become. I was told by my doctor in college that it was a good thing that I'd been taking tablets, rather than having had a shot of the amoxicillin, because the concentration in the shot would cause a much more severe, immediate reaction. After I stopped taking it, the hives went away (they didn't itch, either).

Rebecca
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Visit poster's blog
lespring

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 8:15 AM    Post subject:

Yep, same here. I didn't react until I was an adult, and it was while I was pregnant with my first baby. I'd been on penicillin for pneumonia for several days when one day I got out of the shower, looked in the mirror and my entire upper body was covered in the rash. It was spotted, not itchy, not hot....nothing...just THERE. No more penicillin for me.

My mom's blog
http://gardenofeagan.blogspot.com/

And don't forget to visit MINE!
http://itsmylifemom.blogspot.com/

mom to Rob 28, Noah 27, Tyler 25, Bryon 24, Angela 18 (DS), Axel 13 (DS, adopted from Serbia 12/2012, AAI w/fusion) Asher 9 (DS adopted from Serbia 12/2011, AAI non-fusion), Abel 11 (DS adopted from Serbia 4/2013) Audrey 9 (DS, adopted from Serbia 3/2014)
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's blog Yahoo Messenger
hannah

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 8:34 AM    Post subject:

Both my daughters reacted to amoxicillin the first time or first couple of times they received it. It was like a sandpaper rash, almost like a heat rash. The Dr told me to continue with it. It wasn't an allergic reaction such as hives.

Hannah has been on it a lot since and no reaction.

Last edited by hannah on February 28 2009, 5:04 AM; edited 1 time in total
erinsmom

NDSC Attendee

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 8:49 AM    Post subject:

Yes, this rash is more like a heat rash rather than hives. It actually reminds me a little of early chicken pox. Some of my kids had tiny spots when the chicken pox first appeared. I have a call into the ped. If we need to make a trip into the doc, that would make the fifth appt. this week between all of us! I think we're getting pretty cozy with each other at our ped clinic (thankfully most have not been sick visits) Thank you all for your help!!

lespring

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 9:02 AM    Post subject:

Mine looked like this, but not quite so thickly covered.
http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/drugEruption-whosAtRisk.htm

My mom's blog
http://gardenofeagan.blogspot.com/

And don't forget to visit MINE!
http://itsmylifemom.blogspot.com/

mom to Rob 28, Noah 27, Tyler 25, Bryon 24, Angela 18 (DS), Axel 13 (DS, adopted from Serbia 12/2012, AAI w/fusion) Asher 9 (DS adopted from Serbia 12/2011, AAI non-fusion), Abel 11 (DS adopted from Serbia 4/2013) Audrey 9 (DS, adopted from Serbia 3/2014)
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's blog Yahoo Messenger
erinsmom

NDSC Attendee

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 9:15 AM    Post subject:

Thank you, Leah. No, Erin's spots are not raised like those. Those look more like hives to me. Hers are tiny and seem to be fading quickly on her back, although they are still all over her front. I found this....and I think she just has what this describes as an amoxicillin rash! It says it comes on day 5, which is exactly the day we're on. Who knew?!
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_ampirash_hhg.htm

marlene

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 9:36 AM    Post subject:

Kris, hopefully it IS just what your link describes!

The second time Aleena was on Amoxicillin, she got those little red spots. They started on her belly and then began to spread. I continued to give her the medicine. The spots began to multiply and grow together, then turned into terrible hives! Her face was awful - looked like some kind of terrible infectious disease. Yes, she was having an allergic reaction to penicillin. As said above, it happens sometime AFTER the first exposure.

If you are already seeing the rash go away on Erin's back, that's a good sign!!!

BCPTA

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 11:00 AM    Post subject:

Noah has only taken antibiotics twice (amoxicillin both times), the first time the day he finished his antibiotics he was COVERED in petichiae. Then about a year later he took it for the second time. He broke out with what looked like bugbites the day after he finished the antibiotic. (At first we thought he had gotten flea bitten at my MIL;s)We called the doctor, he said it was a viral rash, by afternoon it had progressed to this:

When I tried to describe it over the phone he just kept telling me it was a rash related to the virus. He put him on benadryl, oatmeal bath, then steroids, but it still got worse. By the time he brought him in, it had gotten somewhat better (about 4 days later). Thank goodness I brought these pictures and reminded him of the petichiae and he said absolutely no more penicillin for Noah.
________
Ktm 450Sx-F

Last edited by BCPTA on February 12 2011, 6:42 AM; edited 1 time in total
hannahsmommy

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 4:18 PM    Post subject:

My Hannah had a full anaphylactic reaction to amox. Swollen airway, rash, the whole shebang. I though that it looked like heat rash. She had been on Amox MANY times before, but that was definately the last time!
Nicola

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 7:00 PM    Post subject:

Just another thought: If you take amoxil when you have Epstein Barr Virus (I think you guys call it "mono") you will break out in a severe rash.

Mum to Brendan 19, Chiara 17, Kiernan 16, Aidan 14, Lachlan 12, Gianna 11 (DS) and Sienna 9.
"This then is what Yahweh asks of you: to act justly, to love tenderly and to walk humbly with your God."
erinsmom

NDSC Attendee

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 7:28 PM    Post subject:

I spoke to the ped nurse and she was not as concerned because the rash was not raised. Since I'm heading in tomorrow for a sibling's check up I'll have her look at it just to be sure. I'm pretty sure Erin's rash is not an allergic reaction because it's getting better rather than worse. But I'll be watching it closely just to be sure. Thanks for all of your replies! BTW, are allergies more common in kids with Ds? I have never heard that but thought I'd ask.

ME's mom

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 9:05 PM    Post subject:

Okay, here we go again! ME had rashes from amox. Her ped said, no more mox, not worth the risk, and switched her to the type that we don't have to worry about it any more. Her new ped agreed, and said he will continue in this direction if she ever needs it again. We did not have ear infection, but it was for another infection, which I can not remember now. But anyhow, could these girls have more in common than they do??? Why don't I just hand you her medical history, so that you don't have to wonder what is coming next? LOL. Give her and her little rash a hug for me. Love. Di
AMTJmom

PostPosted: May 01 2008, 9:12 PM    Post subject:

I don't know how I missed this!

Jack had the exact thing you're describing after he'd been on amoxicillin nearly a week. Small, red dots especially on his trunk and neck and starting to spread to his cheeks. I told the ped. about it at his follow-up and she was sure it wasn't an allergic reaction. She did say if he is allergic, the next time he's on the same stuff, the reaction will be quicker and more severe. His rash started to go away after just a few days and he's a whole new boy today. Wish I'd thought to take pics when it was most severe. Please let us know what your ped says.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
hannah

PostPosted: May 02 2008, 8:30 AM    Post subject:

Those pictures of Noah look like an allergic reaction to Amoxicllin. What Hannah and Olivia had didn't look like that. It was small pinpoint and more noticable in heat sensitive areas. In the literature that came with the medicine, one of the side effects is rash.

With a rash, while on antibiotics, always check with your DR.

Last edited by hannah on February 28 2009, 5:04 AM; edited 1 time in total
erinsmom

NDSC Attendee

PostPosted: May 03 2008, 8:36 AM    Post subject:

Well, the ped never looked at the rash because she (the ped that is) got sick on the day of our appt. I hesitated, but continued to give Erin the amoxicillin because I didn't want to mess with the ear infection. Her rash is better now, so it most likely was not an allergic reaction. Thanks for all the help, especially the pics of Noah. Poor guy. Erin's was different, so that was helpful for me. Di, it is so funny how Erin takes after ME, her chromosome cousin. I think we have common family genes somewhere along the way....dating back to our Irish roots LOL. Just send me her records, it will save me a lot of time!

shea01

PostPosted: May 04 2008, 7:15 AM    Post subject:

Our entire family has delayed allergic reactions. Hubby on day 7 of biaxin (lip swelled twice the normal size), Miranda on day 7 of Keflex(horrible rash from head to toe), AJ on day 5 of Omnicef(rash all over). It's weird but it happens.
QuinnsMom
Super Moderator

PostPosted: May 04 2008, 6:10 PM    Post subject:

My Aidan had the same reaction to amoxicillin and then to omnicef. The doctor said don't use them anymore - there are other options and it isn't worth the risk of having a stronger reaction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       DownSyn Forum Forum Index -> Questions All times are
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: