DownSyn Forum Forum Index DownSyn Forum
Extra Chromosome... Extra Family

shoppingShop   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   MapMap   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum TourForum Tour 

Another parents view of DS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       DownSyn Forum Forum Index -> News Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinMac

PostPosted: September 19 2010, 1:56 PM    Post subject:
Another parents view of DS!

First Communion Day
~Ben'smum~

PostPosted: September 19 2010, 2:39 PM    Post subject:

I read this article during the week on another forum. I thought it was written honestly as I'm sure we've all felt the same way when our lo's were born.

earlyam

PostPosted: September 19 2010, 2:48 PM    Post subject:

I also saw this article a few days ago and loved how honest the dad was about the way he felt after Mary's diagnosis.....I can still remember the way I felt and all those rollercoaster emotions post diagnosis as if it were yesterday.

Nice to see a piece written by a dad too (my husband is always saying how their isn't much written for dads, by other fathers)
AliMama

PostPosted: September 19 2010, 10:22 PM    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing that--it brought back some memories (and a couple of tears, if I'm truthful).

Bohdi-mama

PostPosted: September 19 2010, 11:56 PM    Post subject:

Wow. The description of the birth experience was spot on what we went through. I am surprised that it didn't make me cry - it would have not too long ago.

I guess I am just so into that kid Richie that I only feel sorry for the doctors and nurses that bustled around, and came up to me and told me that families wait for babies like this if we didn't want him.

The operating physician left me open on the table and asked, "Are you sure you want your tubes tied because we thing your baby has Down syndrome." That statement still registers shock for me. Because even in the middle of that moment, the first time I heard the words Down syndrome in reference to the child I had just given birth to, I was struck by what the doctor was implying - that my child was imperfect and I might want to try for one that wasn't broken.

The absurdity of that pronouncement becomes more and more apparent to me as the days pass.

My favorite comment was a paralegal at my office who is Columbian, and her English is very idiosyncratic and literal. She marched up to me when I came back to work and said, "I don't feel sorry for you because your baby has Down syndrome." I loved her from that moment on. Of course, the bluntness might offend some people. But I knew what she meant. It's not something to feel sorry about. Because he's not broken; he's not defective. He's perfectly Richie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       DownSyn Forum Forum Index -> News Articles All times are
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: